5/4/20

If I were a diamond? by Gary Rose




If you have ever upgraded your computer, then you know how much of a hassle it can be. This past week I upgraded several of them (to the latest Linux Mint 19.3) and set up all the programs, settings and options. This project was several hours per computer and of course there were problems along the way, a lot of them. But everything worked out fine in the end and I am happy with the result. Even though I felt exasperated quite a few times, I learned a lot and overall I am better for the experiences.

Well, today I saw this picture of a beautiful blue diamond and remembered that it was formed out of carbon under great pressure. Curious about diamonds, I did a web-search and immediately found the web site listed above (Wikipedia). After reading a bit, I asked myself how a Christian and a diamond compare (in color,clarity,cut and carat weight), ? Below is just a brief summary of my thoughts…


Color
Isaiah 1 ( World English Bible )
Come now, and let us reason together,” says Yahweh: “Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow. Though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Revelation 7 ( WEB )
13, One of the elders answered, saying to me, “These who are arrayed in white robes, who are they, and from where did they come?”
14, I told him, “My lord, you know.” He said to me, “These are those who came out of the great tribulation. They washed their robes, and made them white in the Lamb’s blood.
15, Therefore they are before the throne of God, they serve him day and night in his temple. He who sits on the throne will spread his tabernacle over them.

Sin is like a blemish, a dark spot on the soul. When your hands are dirty, what do you do; well, you wash them of course. God wants you clean of sin. He wants you to be as white as snow and as pure as pure can be. For Christians, we are washed, we are purified by the blood of Christ and symbolically will be given white robes in heaven. So, Gary, don’t ruin a good thing- put away sin at every opportunity- just do it!

Clarity
Matthew 5 ( WEB )
Matt 5:27 "“You have heard that it was said, " * "‘You shall not commit adultery;’"
Matt 5:28 "but I tell you that everyone who gazes at a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart. "
Matt 5:29 "If your right eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it away from you. For it is more profitable for you that one of your members should perish, than for your whole body to be cast into Gehenna." *
Matt 5:30 "If your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off, and throw it away from you. For it is more profitable for you that one of your members should perish, than for your whole body to be cast into Gehenna." *
Matthew 6 ( WEB )
Matt 6:20 "but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consume, and where thieves don’t break through and steal; "
Matt 6:21 "for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. "
Matt 6:22 "“The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is sound, your whole body will be full of light. "
Matt 6:23 "But if your eye is evil, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! "
Matt 6:24 "“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You can’t serve both God and Mammon. "

I remember reading long ago: You are what you think about all day long. This is true, for your thinking ultimately determines your actions and your actions will reinforce your thoughts. Want to know what you think? Take a long look at your computers browser history and that will tell all. If what you do and what you look at is not something Jesus would be pleased with… then CHANGE.

Cut
Philippians 1 ( WEB )
12, Now I desire to have you know, brothers,* that the things which happened to me have turned out rather to the progress of the Good News;
13, so that it became evident to the whole praetorian guard, and to all the rest, that my bonds are in Christ;
14, and that most of the brothers in the Lord, being confident through my bonds, are more abundantly bold to speak the word of God without fear.
15, Some indeed preach Christ even out of envy and strife, and some also out of good will.
16, The former insincerely preach Christ from selfish ambition, thinking that they add affliction to my chains;
17, but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the Good News.
18, What does it matter? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed. I rejoice in this, yes, and will rejoice.
19, For I know that this will turn out to my salvation, through your supplication and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

Romans 8 ( WEB )
28, We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose.

If you live your life and do nothing, then your are defined by the result of that inaction. A full life will have both many successes and failures (and Joys and Sorrows as well). Paul recounted the things that shaped who and what he was to the Philippian brethren and summarizes by saying “What does it matter? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed. I rejoice in this, yes, and will rejoice.” His life was molded and directed into doing the will of God; so ours should be as well.

Carat Weight
Matthew 13 ( WEB )
31, He set another parable before them, saying, “The Kingdom of Heaven is like a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field;
32, which indeed is smaller than all seeds. But when it is grown, it is greater than the herbs, and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in its branches.”
2 Corinthians 11 ( WEB )
16, I say again, let no one think me foolish. But if so, yet receive me as foolish, that I also may boast a little.
17, That which I speak, I don’t speak according to the Lord, but as in foolishness, in this confidence of boasting.
18, Seeing that many boast after the flesh, I will also boast.
19, For you bear with the foolish gladly, being wise.
20, For you bear with a man, if he brings you into bondage, if he devours you, if he takes you captive, if he exalts himself, if he strikes you on the face.
21, I speak by way of disparagement, as though we had been weak. Yet however any is bold (I speak in foolishness), I am bold also.
22, Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? So am I.
23, Are they servants of Christ? (I speak as one beside himself) I am more so; in labors more abundantly, in prisons more abundantly, in stripes above measure, in deaths often.
24, Five times from the Jews I received forty stripes minus one.
25, Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I suffered shipwreck. I have been a night and a day in the deep.
26, I have been in travels often, perils of rivers, perils of robbers, perils from my countrymen, perils from the Gentiles, perils in the city, perils in the wilderness, perils in the sea, perils among false brothers;
27, in labor and travail, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, and in cold and nakedness.
28, Besides those things that are outside, there is that which presses on me daily, anxiety for all the assemblies.
29, Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is caused to stumble, and I don’t burn with indignation?
30, If I must boast, I will boast of the things that concern my weakness.

How much faith do you have? Is it as big as a mustard seed? If so, then do something about it! Your “Carat Weight” will be determined by what you do as a Christian. Small efforts produce small diamonds. Large efforts produce magnificent ones. Remember James and his comments about faith and works? Faith without works really is dead. Be alive, do something with your faith and trust God in your endeavors to do his will!

I encourage you to read the material about diamonds at the Wikipedia link and reflect upon your life. If your life were a diamond what would be its grade? Let your Color, Cut, Clarity and Carat Weight be a wonderful evaluation indeed when you arrive at the judgment!
Let these words of Jesus mold your thoughts and your actions as you consider what your life is really like…

Matthew 5 ( WEB )
14, You are the light of the world. A city located on a hill can’t be hidden.
15, Neither do you light a lamp, and put it under a measuring basket, but on a stand; and it shines to all who are in the house.
16, Even so, let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

ps. You may have noticed that this last passage appears different from the rest of the text. It is in the font “Letters for learners” on purpose.