Freedom! A concept Americans hold very dear!!! But, over the past few decades our rights are gradually being eroded by government intrusion into our lives. Laws and regulations are strangling what few rights we have left and the media is trying to make us think everything is "OK". It is only a matter of time before being a Christian is a crime. Think that is far-fetched? Remember when there was prayer in schools? Remember saying the pledge of allegiance? Now, if you even mention God in school, there is a really big problem. The national debt is astounding and there is a trend towards a world government. Sounds horrible, doesn't it? Now, think about the following verses from the Bible and how it should affect our lives.
Romans 13:1-8 (WEB)
1) Let every soul be in subjection to the higher authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those who exist are ordained by God.
2) Therefore he who resists the authority, withstands the ordinance of God; and those who withstand will receive to themselves judgment.
3) For rulers are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. Do you desire to have no fear of the authority? Do that which is good, and you will have praise from the same,
4) for he is a servant of God to you for good. But if you do that which is evil, be afraid, for he doesn’t bear the sword in vain; for he is a servant of God, an avenger for wrath to him who does evil.
5) Therefore you need to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath, but also for conscience’ sake.
6) For this reason you also pay taxes, for they are servants of God’s service, attending continually on this very thing.
7) Give therefore to everyone what you owe: taxes to whom taxes are due; customs to whom customs; respect to whom respect; honor to whom honor.
8) Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.
The apostle Paul wrote this at a time when Rome ruled the world, a time when it was unlawful to be a Christian and your property and even your life could be taken away at any moment. Christians are to be good citizens; acting respectfully in every way, doing the "right thing" without wavering. What about the consequences? Some of us may suffer; we may even have to deal with a dictatorship in the next 50 to 100 years. However bad things get, we must listen to the Bible and obey. Have faith; if God could overcome the greatest empire on Earth once, could HE not do it again? God dictates how we live, not man!!! Even if our republic is somehow transformed into a dictatorship, no one can take heaven away, ever!