8/21/12

Aug. 21 Job 20-23


Aug. 21
Job 20-23

Job 20:1 Then Zophar the Naamathite answered,
Job 20:2 "Therefore do my thoughts give answer to me, even by reason of my haste that is in me.
Job 20:3 I have heard the reproof which puts me to shame. The spirit of my understanding answers me.
Job 20:4 Don't you know this from old time, since man was placed on earth,
Job 20:5 that the triumphing of the wicked is short, the joy of the godless but for a moment?
Job 20:6 Though his height mount up to the heavens, and his head reach to the clouds,
Job 20:7 yet he shall perish forever like his own dung. Those who have seen him shall say, 'Where is he?'
Job 20:8 He shall fly away as a dream, and shall not be found. Yes, he shall be chased away like a vision of the night.
Job 20:9 The eye which saw him shall see him no more, neither shall his place any more see him.
Job 20:10 His children shall seek the favor of the poor. His hands shall give back his wealth.
Job 20:11 His bones are full of his youth, but youth shall lie down with him in the dust.
Job 20:12 "Though wickedness is sweet in his mouth, though he hide it under his tongue,
Job 20:13 though he spare it, and will not let it go, but keep it still within his mouth;
Job 20:14 yet his food in his bowels is turned. It is cobra venom within him.
Job 20:15 He has swallowed down riches, and he shall vomit them up again. God will cast them out of his belly.
Job 20:16 He shall suck cobra venom. The viper's tongue shall kill him.
Job 20:17 He shall not look at the rivers, the flowing streams of honey and butter.
Job 20:18 That for which he labored he shall restore, and shall not swallow it down. According to the substance that he has gotten, he shall not rejoice.
Job 20:19 For he has oppressed and forsaken the poor. He has violently taken away a house, and he shall not build it up.
Job 20:20 "Because he knew no quietness within him, he shall not save anything of that in which he delights.
Job 20:21 There was nothing left that he didn't devour, therefore his prosperity shall not endure.
Job 20:22 In the fullness of his sufficiency, distress shall overtake him. The hand of everyone who is in misery shall come on him.
Job 20:23 When he is about to fill his belly, God will cast the fierceness of his wrath on him. It will rain on him while he is eating.
Job 20:24 He shall flee from the iron weapon. The bronze arrow shall strike him through.
Job 20:25 He draws it forth, and it comes out of his body. Yes, the glittering point comes out of his liver. Terrors are on him.
Job 20:26 All darkness is laid up for his treasures. An unfanned fire shall devour him. It shall consume that which is left in his tent.
Job 20:27 The heavens shall reveal his iniquity. The earth shall rise up against him.
Job 20:28 The increase of his house shall depart. They shall rush away in the day of his wrath.
Job 20:29 This is the portion of a wicked man from God, the heritage appointed to him by God."
Job 21:1 Then Job answered,
Job 21:2 "Listen diligently to my speech. Let this be your consolation.
Job 21:3 Allow me, and I also will speak; After I have spoken, mock on.
Job 21:4 As for me, is my complaint to man? Why shouldn't I be impatient?
Job 21:5 Look at me, and be astonished. Lay your hand on your mouth.
Job 21:6 When I remember, I am troubled. Horror takes hold of my flesh.
Job 21:7 "Why do the wicked live, become old, yes, and grow mighty in power?
Job 21:8 Their child is established with them in their sight, their offspring before their eyes.
Job 21:9 Their houses are safe from fear, neither is the rod of God upon them.
Job 21:10 Their bulls breed without fail. Their cows calve, and don't miscarry.
Job 21:11 They send forth their little ones like a flock. Their children dance.
Job 21:12 They sing to the tambourine and harp, and rejoice at the sound of the pipe.
Job 21:13 They spend their days in prosperity. In an instant they go down to Sheol.
Job 21:14 They tell God, 'Depart from us, for we don't want to know about your ways.
Job 21:15 What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? What profit should we have, if we pray to him?'
Job 21:16 Behold, their prosperity is not in their hand. The counsel of the wicked is far from me.
Job 21:17 "How often is it that the lamp of the wicked is put out, that their calamity comes on them, that God distributes sorrows in his anger?
Job 21:18 How often is it that they are as stubble before the wind, as chaff that the storm carries away?
Job 21:19 You say, 'God lays up his iniquity for his children.' Let him recompense it to himself, that he may know it.
Job 21:20 Let his own eyes see his destruction. Let him drink of the wrath of the Almighty.
Job 21:21 For what does he care for his house after him, when the number of his months is cut off?
Job 21:22 "Shall any teach God knowledge, seeing he judges those who are high?
Job 21:23 One dies in his full strength, being wholly at ease and quiet.
Job 21:24 His pails are full of milk. The marrow of his bones is moistened.
Job 21:25 Another dies in bitterness of soul, and never tastes of good.
Job 21:26 They lie down alike in the dust. The worm covers them.
Job 21:27 "Behold, I know your thoughts, the devices with which you would wrong me.
Job 21:28 For you say, 'Where is the house of the prince? Where is the tent in which the wicked lived?'
Job 21:29 Haven't you asked wayfaring men? Don't you know their evidences,
Job 21:30 that the evil man is reserved to the day of calamity, That they are led forth to the day of wrath?
Job 21:31 Who shall declare his way to his face? Who shall repay him what he has done?
Job 21:32 Yet he will be borne to the grave. Men shall keep watch over the tomb.
Job 21:33 The clods of the valley shall be sweet to him. All men shall draw after him, as there were innumerable before him.
Job 21:34 So how can you comfort me with nonsense, seeing that in your answers there remains only falsehood?"
Job 22:1 Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered,
Job 22:2 "Can a man be profitable to God? Surely he who is wise is profitable to himself.
Job 22:3 Is it any pleasure to the Almighty, that you are righteous? Or does it benefit him, that you make your ways perfect?
Job 22:4 Is it for your piety that he reproves you, that he enters with you into judgment?
Job 22:5 Isn't your wickedness great? Neither is there any end to your iniquities.
Job 22:6 For you have taken pledges from your brother for nothing, and stripped the naked of their clothing.
Job 22:7 You haven't given water to the weary to drink, and you have withheld bread from the hungry.
Job 22:8 But as for the mighty man, he had the earth. The honorable man, he lived in it.
Job 22:9 You have sent widows away empty, and the arms of the fatherless have been broken.
Job 22:10 Therefore snares are around you. Sudden fear troubles you,
Job 22:11 or darkness, so that you can not see, and floods of waters cover you.
Job 22:12 "Isn't God in the heights of heaven? See the height of the stars, how high they are!
Job 22:13 You say, 'What does God know? Can he judge through the thick darkness?
Job 22:14 Thick clouds are a covering to him, so that he doesn't see. He walks on the vault of the sky.'
Job 22:15 Will you keep the old way, which wicked men have trodden,
Job 22:16 who were snatched away before their time, whose foundation was poured out as a stream,
Job 22:17 who said to God, 'Depart from us;' and, 'What can the Almighty do for us?'
Job 22:18 Yet he filled their houses with good things, but the counsel of the wicked is far from me.
Job 22:19 The righteous see it, and are glad. The innocent ridicule them,
Job 22:20 saying, 'Surely those who rose up against us are cut off. The fire has consumed the remnant of them.'
Job 22:21 "Acquaint yourself with him, now, and be at peace. Thereby good shall come to you.
Job 22:22 Please receive instruction from his mouth, and lay up his words in your heart.
Job 22:23 If you return to the Almighty, you shall be built up, if you put away unrighteousness far from your tents.
Job 22:24 Lay your treasure in the dust, the gold of Ophir among the stones of the brooks.
Job 22:25 The Almighty will be your treasure, and precious silver to you.
Job 22:26 For then you will delight yourself in the Almighty, and shall lift up your face to God.
Job 22:27 You shall make your prayer to him, and he will hear you. You shall pay your vows.
Job 22:28 You shall also decree a thing, and it shall be established to you. Light shall shine on your ways.
Job 22:29 When they cast down, you shall say, 'be lifted up.' He will save the humble person.
Job 22:30 He will even deliver him who is not innocent. Yes, he shall be delivered through the cleanness of your hands."
Job 23:1 Then Job answered,
Job 23:2 "Even today my complaint is rebellious. His hand is heavy in spite of my groaning.
Job 23:3 Oh that I knew where I might find him! That I might come even to his seat!
Job 23:4 I would set my cause in order before him, and fill my mouth with arguments.
Job 23:5 I would know the words which he would answer me, and understand what he would tell me.
Job 23:6 Would he contend with me in the greatness of his power? No, but he would listen to me.
Job 23:7 There the upright might reason with him, so I should be delivered forever from my judge.
Job 23:8 "If I go east, he is not there; if west, I can't find him;
Job 23:9 He works to the north, but I can't see him. He turns south, but I can't catch a glimpse of him.
Job 23:10 But he knows the way that I take. When he has tried me, I shall come forth like gold.
Job 23:11 My foot has held fast to his steps. I have kept his way, and not turned aside.
Job 23:12 I haven't gone back from the commandment of his lips. I have treasured up the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.
Job 23:13 But he stands alone, and who can oppose him? What his soul desires, even that he does.
Job 23:14 For he performs that which is appointed for me. Many such things are with him.
Job 23:15 Therefore I am terrified at his presence. When I consider, I am afraid of him.
Job 23:16 For God has made my heart faint. The Almighty has terrified me.
Job 23:17 Because I was not cut off before the darkness, neither did he cover the thick darkness from my face.