5/18/13

From Gary... A lesson from a whirligig



It was very late in the afternoon, almost evening when Lizzie and I finally arrived on the street where I live.  Even though I was tired, I still felt in a "fun mood", so I experimented in taking a still picture of a moving object and then my first video with this camera.  The results speak for themselves.  I have a lot to learn about taking pictures and videos!!!  However, when I looked at the picture with new eyes, I realized that it was "not so bad" after all, because it showed something of what life is really like.  To understand what I mean, first view the picture and then the video, THEN read the passage below...

Mark, Chapter 14

 27  Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of me tonight, for it is written, ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.’   28  However, after I am raised up, I will go before you into Galilee.” 


  29  But Peter said to him, “Although all will be offended, yet I will not.” 



  30  Jesus said to him, “Most certainly I tell you, that you today, even this night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times.” 



  31  But he spoke all the more, “If I must die with you, I will not deny you.” They all said the same thing. 

  32  They came to a place which was named Gethsemane. He said to his disciples, “Sit here, while I pray.”   33 He took with him Peter, James, and John, and began to be greatly troubled and distressed.  34 He said to them, “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here, and watch.” 



  35  He went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass away from him. 36 He said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible to you. Please remove this cup from me. However, not what I desire, but what you desire.” 



  37  He came and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, “Simon, are you sleeping? Couldn’t you watch one hour?   38  Watch and pray, that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” 



  39  Again he went away, and prayed, saying the same words.  40 Again he returned, and found them sleeping, for their eyes were very heavy, and they didn’t know what to answer him.  41 He came the third time, and said to them, “Sleep on now, and take your rest. It is enough. The hour has come. Behold, the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.   42  Arise, let us be going. Behold, he who betrays me is at hand.” 



  43  Immediately, while he was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, came—and with him a multitude with swords and clubs, from the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders.  44 Now he who betrayed him had given them a sign, saying, “Whomever I will kiss, that is he. Seize him, and lead him away safely.”  45 When he had come, immediately he came to him, and said, “Rabbi! Rabbi!” and kissed him.  46 They laid their hands on him, and seized him.  47 But a certain one of those who stood by drew his sword, and struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear. 

  48  Jesus answered them, “Have you come out, as against a robber, with swords and clubs to seize me?   49  I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and you didn’t arrest me. But this is so that the Scriptures might be fulfilled.” 



  50  They all left him, and fled. 



The apostles had spent three years with Jesus; supposedly learning from him during that time.  They were slow learners.  Jesus told them what would happen long before it did and as usual, they didn't get it.  Peter would not listen (also as usual) and it wasn't until much later that he realized the truth - after the rooster crowed.  Now, you probably are thinking that this just does not relate, but it does.  You see, sometimes life just goes by too fast for us to get a clear picture of what is going on (like the photo).  Often, it isn't until we "play things over in our mind" (like the video) that we see things clearly.  OK, so you are probably saying "so what" right about now.  Well, if we think about the Scriptures on a daily basis over a long period of time, they become so much a part of us that everything in our life is filtered by them.  And that is the point- Scripture puts things in focus- gives us direction and guidance when we need it most!!!  I had no idea Who knew that I could learn something from a whirligig???