9/25/13

From Gary... Indulgence has consequences


I am guessing this is called "rainbow cake".  As good as name as any for this beautiful creation.  Are those gum balls on top?  Looks like it!!!  I would like to think that each layer is flavored as well as colored!!!  Can you imagine the taste: Strawberry, orange, lemon, lime, blueberry and grape in both the cake and the frosting!!!  And don't forget the gum balls!!! One piece of this "little beauty" must be about 150 weightwatchers points (that is about three days food intake for me)!!!  As mouth watering as this dessert appears, I just don't want it bad enough to pay that price for it.  And I am glad I can say that!!! Now, as tasty as this might be, it is probably not very good for me- too much sugar and other refinements.  But what if something WAS very good for me; no wonderful beyond imagining- what then; would I pay the price to achieve it???  Here is how one person handled that choice...

Matthew, Chapter 19
  16  Behold, one came to him and said, “Good teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?” 

  17  He said to him, “Why do you call me good?  No one is good but one, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 

  18  He said to him, “Which ones?” 

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder.’ ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ ‘You shall not steal.’ ‘You shall not offer false testimony.’   19  ‘Honor your father and mother.’  And, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’” 

  20  The young man said to him, “All these things I have observed from my youth. What do I still lack?” 

  21  Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”   22 But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sad, for he was one who had great possessions.  23 Jesus said to his disciples,“Most certainly I say to you, a rich man will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven with difficulty.   24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God.”

Jesus gave this young man a choice- riches or the kingdom of Heaven.  He chose poorly.  The comforts of life can be very alluring; detrimentally so.  Frankly, most of the things in this world that seem wonderful are not.  Things can bring you down very easily.  Think and act spiritually; riches, like that wonderful looking cake, may seem to be the end of all things, but there is a danger of destruction associated with them.  The saying: "A moment on the lips means forever on the hips" applies.  Giving in to desire has consequences, even for the religious among us (and make no mistake- this rich young man was religious).  But, the good news is... I can still imagine how wonderful that cake is and lose weight!!!

ps. If my weight watchers group leader is reading this... no, I am not going to have cake today!!!  I intend on being very good- got to reach that 100 pound mark for sure!!!