3/2/14

From Gary... Personally speaking...

Interlinear commentary (horizontally, NOT vertically); that's what this is. And even though I don't use the King James Version much anymore, I appreciate its rhythmic word flow and the elegance of its language. Perhaps this could be subtitled: "What this means to me" because of all the "That's".   Anyway, this is a nice idea and worth reading a few times. At the risk of being redundant, I would just like to give you The World English Bible's version, as it is the one I use on the blog....

Psalm 23
  1  Yahweh is my shepherd:
I shall lack nothing.
  2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
  3 He restores my soul.
He guides me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
  4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me.
Your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
  5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil.
My cup runs over.
  6 Surely goodness and loving kindness shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in Yahweh’s house forever.

Very similar, except for that "Yahweh". Yet, that one word says it all to me. Why? Because it is God's memorial name, not a substituted title. At this point you are probably asking yourself- so what's the BIG DEAL?  Well, it is his NAME; which makes it more personal (as well as accurate). And isn't this Psalm very personal?  When we get right down to it, if the Bible isn't taken personally (i.e. applied practically)- then we have missed the point.  God personally made everything, HE personally intervened when sin entered the world and HE personally suffered and bled and died for each and every one of us.  Whether or not you agree with me on the idea of using Yahweh in the Bible; take The Word of God both seriously and personally!!!! Frankly, the more you do this, the greater the probability you will do what it says- and that is a good thing!!!!!