6/3/14

From Gary... At the "core" of...


Two days ago, I watched the Disney movie "John Carter" again, so it came as no surprise when I saw this volcanic picture that I thought of the Edgar Rice Burrough's book "At Earth's core". Written just about 100 years ago, it still had an attraction for me and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.  I can't remember all the details, but 500 miles below the surface, our hero encounters intelligent flying reptiles in a prehistoric land called Pellicular. Wow, I surprised even myself on this one, because I read it a couple of years ago.  Memory is such a fleeting thing, but it is of utmost importance.  What we remember can literally make the difference between heaven and hell.  Consider this passage from the Psalms...

Psalm 119
Psa 119:9  b Beth. How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word.
Psa 119:10  With all my heart I have sought You; Do not let me wander from Your commandments.
Psa 119:11  Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You.
Psa 119:12  Blessed are You, O LORD; Teach me Your statutes.
Psa 119:13  With my lips I have told of All the ordinances of Your mouth.
Psa 119:14  I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches.
Psa 119:15  I will meditate on Your precepts And regard Your ways.
Psa 119:16  I shall delight in Your statutes; I shall not forget Your word.

Purity is something we all have to strive for.  The best way I have found to help in this effort is to read your Bible and remember it. Admittedly, the remembering part is a bit more difficult than it used to be, but then, that is mitigated by decades of experiences. You or I may never achieve a "hero" status, but we can do, what we can do. So, do that and leave the rest up to God. He is the real HERO anyway!!!