1/8/15

From Gary... And the sun felt warm on my face


As most of you know by now, I (we) have two miniature Poodles, Buddy and Pal. But lately we have been dog-sitting two white Bichon Frisés as well.  One is an older dog named Hercules and the other is a 11/2 old female called Sylvia.  Hercules is a quiet dog and reserved in all he does. Sylvia is not. She is a loving, energetic handful of a dog, who needs more attention than the other three put together!!!  

Last night, while all of us enjoyed some time together in front of the TV, Linda mentioned that the leader of the pack, Pal, had become withdrawn and sullen. I thought about it for awhile and realized she was right. So, instead of letting him stay in his cage overnight (which he loves to do), I closed the cage and put him in my bed.  After a bit, he changed. No longer withdrawn, he became more affectionate than ever.  Linda was right, Pal needed something- me!!!  Then came morning and with it my "old" Pal;happy as a clam!!!! After breakfast, I took Buddy and Pal for a walk on this cold, cold morning.  It didn't take long before my face was very cold and I wished the walk was OVER NOW. The dogs seemed to be enjoying themselves in the simplicity of the things that dogs do, but all I could think about was how cold I felt. When we emerged from the cold, cold shadow of the maintenance building in the dog-walk, I was struck by the warmth of the sun on my face and became thankful for its warmth and my gloomy mood changed to a happy one. I realized that I should enjoy even this "chore", for no matter where I was- God was there, providing what I really needed. And this applies to Pal as well. In light of this, consider the following excerpt from Ecclesiastes and perhaps you too might enjoy the encouragement of a few rays (of truth)!!!!

Ecclesiastes, Chapter 3
10 I have seen the burden which God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with.  11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in their hearts, yet so that man can’t find out the work that God has done from the beginning even to the end.  12 I know that there is nothing better for them than to rejoice, and to do good as long as they live.  13 Also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy good in all his labor, is the gift of God.  14 I know that whatever God does, it shall be forever. Nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it; and God has done it, that men should fear before him. 15 That which is has been long ago, and that which is to be has been long ago: and God seeks again that which is passed away.