5/8/15

From Gary... Your name is...


This post is more involved than most, so I would ask for your patience and understanding...

How intelligent are you? Are you good at math or science but can't hammer in a nail? Frankly, some of the smartest people I have ever known never even graduated from high school. How about the person who can barely write, but can build a house or repair a car with ease? With all this there is the matter of choice. Consider the uni bomber: He was a math whiz, but anti-social in the extreme. I wonder, were his parents proud of him? Would they be ashamed to call him their son? Then, there is the matter of religion- does it matter what you call yourself? Good question!!! Your children go by your name and not just any name, so someone who claims allegiance to God should also claim the name that would be appropriate to following The God of Heaven. Today, I have listed a lot of verses from the Bible and if you are in a hurry, just start with the ones that are quoted and read the references later. However, I recommend reading everything, as it is worth it. Read on....

Isaiah, Chapter 5 (WEB)

 16 but Yahweh of Armies is exalted in justice,
and God the Holy One is sanctified in righteousness.  See also... Mark 1:24, Lk. 1:35


Isaiah, Chapter 8 (WEB)
13 Yahweh of Armies is who you must respect as holy. He is the one you must fear. He is the one you must dread.  14 He will be a sanctuary, but for both houses of Israel, he will be a trap and a snare for the inhabitants of Jerusalem.  15 Many will stumble over it, fall, be broken, be snared, and be captured.”  16 Wrap up the testimony. Seal the law among my disciples.  17 I will wait for Yahweh, who hides his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.  18 Behold, I and the children whom Yahweh has given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from Yahweh of Armies, who dwells in Mount Zion.  See also... Rev. 3:7-13; Rev. 19:11-16

Isaiah, Chapter 37 (WEB)
 16 “Yahweh of Armies, the God of Israel, who is enthroned among the cherubim, you are the God, even you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earthSee also...  John 1:1-3

Isaiah, Chapter 44 (WEB)

6 This is what Yahweh, the King of Israel,
and his Redeemer, Yahweh of Armies, says:
“I am the first, and I am the last;
and besides me there is no God.
  7 Who is like me?
Who will call,
and will declare it,
and set it in order for me,
since I established the ancient people?
Let them declare the things that are coming,
and that will happen.
  8 Don’t fear,
neither be afraid.
Haven’t I declared it to you long ago,
and shown it?
You are my witnesses.
Is there a God besides me?
Indeed, there is not.
I don’t know any other Rock.”  see also... Matt. 25:31;1 Cor. 10:1-4; John 1:49


Isaiah, Chapter 47 (WEB)
4 Our Redeemer, Yahweh of Armies is his name, the Holy One of Israel.  See also... Tit. 2:13, 1 Pet. 1:18-21

Isaiah, Chapter 54 (WEB)
 5 For your Maker is your husband; Yahweh of Armies is his name: and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; the God of the whole earth shall he be called.  6 For Yahweh has called you as a wife forsaken and grieved in spirit, even a wife of youth, when she is cast off,” says your God. 
See also... Eph. 5:23-27

John, Chapter 8 (WEB)
31 Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples.   32  You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

See also... Matt. 28:16-20; Acts 1:15; Isaiah 62:2

Acts, Chapter 4 (WEB)
 8  Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “You rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,  9 if we are examined today concerning a good deed done to a crippled man, by what means this man has been healed,  10 be it known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, in him does this man stand here before you whole.  11 He is ‘the stone which was regarded as worthless by you, the builders, which has become the head of the corner.’  12 There is salvation in none other, for neither is there any other name under heaven, that is given among men, by which we must be saved!”  See also... Acts 11:26, Matt. 28:16-20

There is but one God. He is known by the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Other names found in the above verses are...  Yahweh of Armies, God the Holy One, The God of Israel, Redeemer, Rock, The Holy One of Israel, etc.. At first glance, this all sounds a bit confusing, but this sort of thing happens all the time.  I am Gary, when I was young and did something wrong, my mother referred to me by my full name. Later I was labeled as a boyfriend, then husband, then father, then grandfather and soon I will be a great-grandfather. But I am the same person, not matter what you call me. For what you call me is dependent upon your relationship to me.

Since God has many names, we have to narrow down what HE should be called before we can understand our correct name(s). 

Hebrews, Chapter 1 (WEB)
 1 God, having in the past spoken to the fathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways,  2 has at the end of these days spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom also he made the worlds.  3 His Son is the radiance of his glory, the very image of his substance, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purified us of our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; 

So, as followers of God, we should be adhere to a name referring to HIS Son and not by some religious leader, or something other than what is found in the Scriptures. Isaiah 62:2 says that those who follow God will be known by a NEW NAME, which the Lord will utter. It seems to me that from John 8:31 that we should be known as Disciples (of Christ). But in the first century, these people were referred to as Christians. Could you use other names from the Bible? Possibly, but why would you want to? Remember, Isaiah 8:13 and fear Yahweh of Hosts (Armies), after all, there is only one name that we will be saved by- and that is JESUS (Acts 4:12).

Rev. 19:11ff (WEB)
 11  I saw the heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it is called Faithful and True. In righteousness he judges and makes war.  12 His eyes are a flame of fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has names written and a name written which no one knows but he himself.  13 He is clothed in a garment sprinkled with blood. His name is called “The Word of God.”  14 The armies which are in heaven followed him on white horses, clothed in white, pure, fine linen.  15 Out of his mouth proceeds a sharp, double-edged sword, that with it he should strike the nations. He will rule them with an iron rod. He treads the wine press of the fierceness of the wrath of God, the Almighty.  16 He has on his garment and on his thigh a name written, “KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.”

Whatever you decide to do, ask yourself if God would be pleased at your choice????



PS.  I think the answer to the graphic question is Mr. Sixty Two.