7/25/17

One way only by Gary Rose

Please, read the picture from the top down and then reverse the procedure. How different the readings are! But, what caused the change? How could a boy go from such a loving suitor to a cur (cad, scoundrel, low-life - whatever)? 

Since actions like this do happen in real life, they are worth considering. And the Bible doesn't shy away from dealing with such issues. First, the down-side and then the cure...


2 Samuel, Chapter 13 (World English Bible)
  1 After this, Absalom the son of David had a beautiful sister, whose name was Tamar; and Amnon the son of David loved her.  2 Amnon was so troubled that he became sick because of his sister Tamar; for she was a virgin; and it seemed hard to Amnon to do anything to her.  3 But Amnon had a friend, whose name was Jonadab, the son of Shimeah, David’s brother; and Jonadab was a very subtle man.  4 He said to him, “Why, son of the king, are you so sad from day to day? Won’t you tell me?” 


Amnon said to him, “I love Tamar, my brother Absalom’s sister.” 
  5 Jonadab said to him, “Lay down on your bed, and pretend to be sick. When your father comes to see you, tell him, ‘Please let my sister Tamar come and give me bread to eat, and prepare the food in my sight, that I may see it, and eat it from her hand.’” 



  6 So Amnon lay down and faked being sick. When the king came to see him, Amnon said to the king, “Please let my sister Tamar come, and make me a couple of cakes in my sight, that I may eat from her hand.” 



  7 Then David sent home to Tamar, saying, “Go now to your brother Amnon’s house, and prepare food for him.” 8 So Tamar went to her brother Amnon’s house; and he was lying down. She took dough, and kneaded it, made cakes in his sight, and baked the cakes.  9 She took the pan, and poured them out before him; but he refused to eat. Amnon said, “Have all men leave me.” Then every man went out from him.  10 Amnon said to Tamar, “Bring the food into the room, that I may eat from your hand.” Tamar took the cakes which she had made, and brought them into the room to Amnon her brother.  11 When she had brought them near to him to eat, he took hold of her, and said to her, “Come, lie with me, my sister!” 



  12 She answered him, “No, my brother, do not force me! For no such thing ought to be done in Israel. Don’t you do this folly.  13 As for me, where would I carry my shame? And as for you, you will be as one of the fools in Israel. Now therefore, please speak to the king; for he will not withhold me from you.” 



  14 However he would not listen to her voice; but being stronger than she, he forced her, and lay with her. 15 Then Amnon hated her with exceedingly great hatred; for the hatred with which he hated her was greater than the love with which he had loved her. Amnon said to her, “Arise, be gone!” 



  16 She said to him, “Not so, because this great wrong in sending me away is worse than the other that you did to me!” 



But he would not listen to her.  17 Then he called his servant who ministered to him, and said, “Now put this woman out from me, and bolt the door after her.” 

As compared to...


Ephesians, Chapter 5 (WEB)
  25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the assembly, and gave himself up for it;  26 that he might sanctify it, having cleansed it by the washing of water with the word,  27 that he might present the assembly to himself gloriously, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without defect.  28 Even so husbands also ought to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself.  29 For no man ever hated his own flesh; but nourishes and cherishes it, even as the Lord also does the assembly;  30 because we are members of his body, of his flesh and bones.  31 “For this cause a man will leave his father and mother, and will be joined to his wife. The two will become one flesh.” 32 This mystery is great, but I speak concerning Christ and of the assembly.  33 Nevertheless each of you must also love his own wife even as himself; and let the wife see that she respects her husband. 

The difference in the two passages is the difference between a life of sin and a life with God. Without God, women become an object; something to be used and discarded. With God, WIVES, are to be loved because they are a gift from God and God desires happiness in marriage.

Frankly, marriage is not easy, but where there is love there is hope. 

I don't know about you, but I will only read that picture from the top down from now on- the reverse lifestyle is sinful and I don't wish to even THINK ABOUT IT! How about YOU???