1/15/18

Will I... by Gary Rose

Saw this on facebook this morning.  Part of the caption read: Not everyone will get this... Thinking about it, I realized not everyone will (especially those born born in the 21st century).  Later, after some thought about it - I realized that I didn't (not fully, anyway). Now, I recognize it as a song from the movie "Reservoir Dogs" and having something to do with a party, but that's about it.

Right about now, it might be useful to actually LISTEN TO THE SONG, so click on the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=SRstealers+wheel+stuck+in+the+middle+with+you&time_continue=11&v=DohRa9lsx0Q

Either click on the link or paste the address into your browser
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=3769

Somewhere I remember reading "Every Saint has a past and every Sinner a future". And, you know this is true! I didn't become a Christian until my late 20's and had been to quite a few parties where alcohol was served. Sometimes, people would drink too much and all sorts of not-so-nice things would happen. Some people enjoy such situations a lot and so did I- for awhile a least. When I became a Christian, my idea of what a fun time began to change and eventually, alcohol became a thing of the past.

All this brings a passage of Scripture to the forefront of my thinking...

Hebrews , Chapter 11 (WEB)
 23 By faith, Moses, when he was born, was hidden for three months by his parents, because they saw that he was a beautiful child, and they were not afraid of the king’s commandment.  24 By faith, Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter,  25 choosing rather to share ill treatment with God’s people than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a time,   26 considering the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he looked to the reward.   (emphasis added vss. 24-26) 27 By faith, he left Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.  28 By faith, he kept the Passover, and the sprinkling of the blood, that the destroyer of the firstborn should not touch them.  29 By faith, they passed through the Red Sea as on dry land. When the Egyptians tried to do so, they were swallowed up.  

A song, a past and some Scripture- so what? Well, we all have choices to make in life and if we decide to become Christians, we need to put the "pleasures of sin" behind us. Part of acknowledging Jesus as LORD is being willing to submit our lives to the will of God and not just do anything we want to do.

I guess the only thing to say at this point is two questions: Will I? Will you?