1/28/19

The answer to the question: How do I do this? by Gary Rose



This quote from “Mother Teresa” is true. Very hard to actually do, but TRUE nonetheless. Many years ago, I had the honor of being allowed to preach full-time (but mostly part-time) for several congregations of the church of Christ.

I attempted to do all that is positive within Teresa’s statement, but ultimately gave up. For years I told myself that it was only for family reasons, but I no longer believe this to be true. After years of reflection, I believe that I just couldn’t completely put into everyday practice the following passage….


1 Corinthians 13 ( World English Bible )
 4  Love is patient and is kind; love doesn’t envy. Love doesn’t brag, is not proud,  5 doesn’t behave itself inappropriately, doesn’t seek its own way, is not provoked, takes no account of evil;  6 doesn’t rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;  7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will be done away with. Where there are various languages, they will cease. Where there is knowledge, it will be done away with.  9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part;  10 but when that which is complete has come, then that which is partial will be done away with.  11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child. Now that I have become a man, I have put away childish things.  12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, even as I was also fully known.  13 But now faith, hope, and love remain—these three. The greatest of these is love. 


Being a Christian can (at times) be a very challenging goal. Being a Gospel preacher is the highest, most difficult goal I can think of. While I may have failed in my quest to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ as a preacher, I am cognizant of the fact that even the smallest of efforts to serve Christ will not be forgotten.
Jesus said:

Matthew 10 ( WEB )
 34  “Don’t think that I came to send peace on the earth. I didn’t come to send peace, but a sword.   35  For I came to set a man at odds against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.   36  A man’s foes will be those of his own household.  37  He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me isn’t worthy of me.   38  He who doesn’t take his cross and follow after me, isn’t worthy of me.   39  He who seeks his life will lose it; and he who loses his life for my sake will find it.   40  He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives him who sent me.   41  He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward. He who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man will receive a righteous man’s reward.   42 Whoever gives one of these little ones just a cup of cold water to drink in the name of a disciple, most certainly I tell you he will in no way lose his reward.” (emphasis added)


So, how do we actually put into practice “Mother Teresa’s” admonitions? The answer is love, a love that embodies everything that is taught in 1 Corinthians, chapter 13. And, when you think about it…

LOVE is really the biggest word of them all!

So, Please be patient with me, as I am still trying to get that greatest of all words integrated completely into my life. And I sincerely hope that all who read the post will also have the same goal as well.