9/2/19

Anxious by Gary Rose



These two pictures reminded me of a conversation I had with Ruth Justice on the way to church the Sunday before last. She had been holding onto the handle over the passenger window and I mentioned to her that it reminded me of my Grandmother (pictured at the right in the family photo). My Grandmother was the first to attempt to teach me to drive. She held onto the passenger handle for dear life and in a panic kept crying: “Manny boy, slow down, slow down!”, So I did (from 20 mph to 15). She didn’t mean to be a “back seat driver”, but she was. So, when I saw the graphic of the “back seat driver’s license” today all these memories came rushing back to me and make me laugh. Along with this I thought of my reading assignment for our upcoming Bible class on the book of Philippians and this passage came to mind…


Philippians 4 ( World  English  Bible )
4 Rejoice in the Lord always! Again I will say, “Rejoice!”  5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.  6 In nothing be anxious, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.


To paraphrase: Don’t be anxious; pray. I wish I had known this verse in the 1960’s when Grandma tried to teach me to drive; it might have made things a bit quieter.

P.S. From left to right
1. My mother, Vivian K. Rose
2. My younger brother, David D. Rose ( about 3 ½ -4 years old ? )
3. My maternal grandmother, Gladys B. Krauss
4. Me in the front ( about 5 or 6 years old )


P.S.S. Please note the commissioner's name: G M I Nervous