8/23/12

Maple Trees by Terry Sturtevant

In my backyard are three maple trees. They are spaced evenly and look beautiful in spring, summer, and fall. They live there quietly shading my lawn and cooling me from the suns rays.

About three or more years ago I began picking up dead branches. Small ones at first and larger ones each spring season. This year in particular, they have been dropping all summer. A few that are fifteen feet long and six inches in diameter.

Well I am not an arborist, but it's very obvious that the trees are either aging or have an insect infestation or blight. They are slowly dying.

The dead branches are falling from the tops. The trees are over forty feet tall and I can only guess that they are the same number in years old. I have lived by them for almost eighteen years.

I remember a lot of my birthdays. Unlike many people, they don't bother me. I liked age thirty and "The Big Four Oh" didn't affect me at all. It's just a number.

But then something changed. It wasn't the gifts, the cake or the flavor of the ice cream. It was me. At age 55, things became "different."

I didn't move as fast. The AARP invited me to join membership. My muscles were a few horsepower weaker. My endurance was nil.

I started on and off exercise and diet programs several times. But the results weren't as stellar as they were in my late thirties.

Looking in the mirror I had noticed my hair had began receding rapidly. My branches were falling off.

No I haven't lost any limbs, but a few are sore and I can no longer drop and do 100 push-ups. Twelve will take my breath away.

I've been diagnosed with glaucoma and have a nagging back ache that according to Doctors should not be hurting me. But it lots my walking for exercise.

Now I like to sleep in longer when I can. But I have more trouble falling asleep.

And Someone must have added extra weight to both the lawn mower and snow blower because I'm exhausted after using them.

I quit growing taller a long time ago. I struggle not to grow wider.

But this I know. In everything there comes a time for an end.

I may have to cut down my beloved maples so that they won't fall and do damage or harm to property or person.

Everything gets its turn to live, to be, and to die. My prayer is that in some way I have comforted those in need during their life and that I'll be appreciated and remembered for giving freely. 
-------
 
Terry sent me the above for posting;I  was once again reminded of this passage from Chapter 3 of Ecclesiastes...
 
 1 To all there is an appointed time, even a time for every purpose under the heavens:  2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pull up what is planted;  3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to tear down, and a time to build up;  4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;  5 a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;  6 a time to seek, and a time to give up as lost; a time to keep, and a time to throw away;  7 a time to tear, and a time to sew together; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;  8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.  9 What advantage has he who works in that in which he labors?  10 I have seen the task which God has given to the sons of men, to be humbled by it. 

  11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, He has set eternity in their heart, without which man cannot find out the work that God makes from the beginning and to the end
 
 Gary