8/23/12

Top billing


This week I hit a 34 pound weight loss; only a few more pounds to go until I hit the 10% mark.  I am told that at this percentage, the body changes for the better- blood pressure, blood glucose and other major indicators of health improve.  So far, I just feel a tad lighter and some clothes fit better.  Maybe I will celebrate my 10% with some strawberry cheesecake?  Until now, it was off the menu because of the calories it contains- but then I saw this picture...  Wow!  Right up my alley!!  Funny, how we classify things, isn't it?  I mean, we always refer to cheesecake with strawberries on it as "strawberry cheesecake" and not cheesecake with strawberries.  Cheesecake is the main ingredient and as such you would think it would get "top billing", but it doesn't.  Consider also our lives.  The physical always seems to get priority; bodily needs come first and spiritual needs second.  We place an emphasis on maintaining that which will last the shorter time and sometimes ignore the spiritual side of our being which will last forever.  Which reminds me of this passage from the book of 1 Corinthians...

1 Corinthians, Chapter 15
45 So also it has been written, "The" first "man", Adam, "became a living soul;" the last Adam a life-giving Spirit. Gen. 2:7  46 But not the spiritual first, but the natural; afterward the spiritual. 47 The first man was out of earth, earthy. The second Man was the Lord out of Heaven. Gen. 2:7  48 Such the earthy man , such also the earthy ones. And such the heavenly Man , such also the heavenly ones.  49 And as we bore the image of the earthy man , we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man  50 And I say this, brothers, that flesh and blood is not able to inherit the kingdom of God, nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 

 Adam was the prototype and failed; Jesus was the original and succeeded.  So, the first IS last and those who become like the last are given priority in the last times.  That is what Jesus did; he placed his spiritual nature over his physical one and died so that WE might live.  He gave the spiritual "top billing" over the physical so that we might do the same.  Frankly, I will never look at strawberry cheesecake the same way again...