1/19/15

From Ed Healy... Finishing The Course!



Finishing
The Course!

As the world watches one of the Olympic Games, I think back to when they were here in Lake Placid. In fact, our reporters often give news clips about some of those who won "The Gold" in the 1980 Winter Olympics.  It is history relived.  Often called the Miracle of 1980!

As I observe and reflect upon these events I can draw a parallel to something Paul said to Timothy in [2 Tim. 4:6-8]. For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day-- and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (NIV)


Paul had fought the good fight and finished the course, knowing that the victor's crown of righteousness was laid up for him. Yes, Paul knew that he was a winner with Christ as his leader. We, too, can have this same confidence, knowing that the crown of eternal life is ours.

When people compete for the Olympics, they need to prepare for the victory. That moment before finishing, a moment in which the athlete is all charged and can taste the victory, is a time when the hopes and dreams of hard work are so close to becoming reality.

The Olympics will pass and more will come in years ahead for new athletes to work for "The Gold."

Paul tells me that our victory is great because we have the confidence in Christ as being the first to overcome the grave. With confidence, we can draw near to the victory. With faith in Christ we can taste the victory. But, we must finish the course. We must draw near to the cross of Christ that we might receive the crown of righteousness.  The Miracle of Heaven!